Monday, April 23, 2012

Today marks two weeks.

So, I've been primal or eating paleo for two weeks today.  I'm down 11.8lbs.  Aside from a few cheats on Friday and Saturday I've eaten very clean.  My cheats on Friday are documented in another post but on Saturday night I indulged in two gluten free beers that were 16g of carbs each and very tasty.  I also took 2 bites of Leah's dessert on Saturday night and had very very small chunk of organic chocolate but aside from that I haven't cheated anymore.  By the way in case you're wondering what organic chocolate is.... It was 70%+ dark chocolate and the first ingredient is chocolate, then raw sugar, then milk.  That's it, no Soy Lecithin, no high fructose corn syrup, no other things that are hard to pronouce just natural ingredients.  Anyway I tried a bite but found it unappealing to me.

I did suffer the same hunger pangs after our dinner Saturday night that I experienced on Friday.  Again, they came b/c I indulged in sugar and carbs.  Once your body gets a taste it wants more.  Fortunately this time it was not strong and did not last as long as Friday night.  So I was OK.

Sugar, sweets, and grain in general have lost their appeal to me.  The only thing I could still indulge in and probably enjoy would be beer.  I eat when I'm hungry and when I get hungry I'm usually wanting something with protein or veggies.  These are such fundamental changes for me and how I've lived my life for oh....about as long as I can remember.  My thoughts and approach to food have completely transformed; I'd like to think that I just flipped a switch or something but instead I think it has more to do with purging my body of the chemicals, sweets, and grain it has fed on for so long.  It's like giving your car shitty gas and then suddenly giving it premium.

My skin is no longer as dry as it used to be.  I always thought this was water/soap related but honestly I see a major change in moisture.  Also my acne is still clear.  My poop (yes I'm going here) is also regular and OK.  I mention this b/c the USDA and those who advocate for the SAD (Standard American Diet) would have us believe that we need all that grain for fiber and regular bowel movements.  Well, I'm getting plenty of fiber from veggies.  I used to suffer frequent constipation that would sometimes lead to painful bowel movements involving diarrhea. I am no longer plagued by this; I am regular like a clock and my poo is totally normal. Moving on... :)

My mom returns on Wednesday and I am excited to discuss with her all the changes we've implemented and hope that she is accepting.  She has already flatly stated she won't give up diet coke which I totally respect but we're not going to be eating so many carbs and starches at meal time.  I think she's going to have an issue with this but I am hoping she can see past it and to the benefit.  She is type 2 diabetic and has been since 1998.  While with me the first few months of this year her sugar got to a consistent daily 150 or lower.  This is really good for her and I know that if we cut out the breads and starches she'll see it drop even more.  But, at the same time I am not going to expect my mom to just up and change b/c we have.  She is 76 and still my mom so she could tell me to just piss up a rope or something :)  I already know she won't give up her toasties that she eats with her Brie.  haha so it's going to be interesting getting re-acclimated.

Alright closing this off so I stop rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment