Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Being sick suuuuuuuuuuucks

So my weekend was great, no really I mean it was great.  Mom and I transplanted all of our herbs into larger pots that we had started from seeds ourselves.  I got onions, lettuce, and asparagus planted in the garden outside.  And Sunday Leah and I went on a nice long hike that made us sweat, involved me almost stepping on a snake's head, and seeing lots of plants in bloom.

And then it all changed.  Somewhere around 5pm on Sunday I started sneezing my head off.  Like constant sneezing and then the nose started running.  I thought, OK this is allergies.  So I methodically pop a Benedryl and nothing happens... instead by 9pm I'm dripping like a runny faucet my head is pounding and I'm feeling very... very run down.  So, I take another Benedryl and then pass out in the bed.  I wake up at 3am Monday morning choking on mucus rolling down my throat (yeah it was as gross as this sounds).  I can't sleep, I'm miserable, so I decide to get up and go down stairs to the recliner.  After several hours I fall asleep but again wake up choking.  OK, this can't be good. /grumble, I finally admit that I'm sick.

Leah comes down and says why didn't you try taking Airborne or Sudafed?  I'm like b/c I thought it was allergies but OK I'll try this stuff.  I felt a little better, my head still weighed 50lbs but the headache subsided, I was still exhausted though and I pretty much stayed on the couch alllllllll day.

That night I try to sleep and I've developed a cough.  The gunk that has been choking me has made it's way to my chest.  So I'm coughing coughing coughing, shivering, sweating, blowing bloody snot...you get the idea. I rummage in the medicine cabinet and score some cough syrup and go to sleep.  When I woke up Tuesday I felt like I should try to go to work even though I was coughing....when I got to work I needed to cough and clear my throat...upon doing so I noticed that my mucus had a new color...somewhere in the fluorescent green-yellow with a hint of blood spectrum.  I knew this wasn't good and explained my coughing and chills from the night before.  So I decided I should see my doctor who gave me a nasal spray and a Z-pak.  I began feeling better by afternoon yesterday thankful to finally have the tired feeling and headache gone.  And today while I'm still coughing and snotty I feel even better than the day before.

So why did I make this long disgusting post about my illness?  Well, even though I didn't eat much at all during this ordeal I didn't lose much weight either.  I'm hovering around 17lbs lost in 22 days but I did knock on the door for 18lbs but it slipped back away.  To be blunt, I haven't been eating enough or right.  The problem is I haven't been hungry... some days I don't get hungry until close to 11am and while Intermittent Fasting is encouraged and viewed as acceptable on paleo it's not something I should be doing this early on.  I think I severely confused my body b/c I probably had 1-2 meals a day and they weren't very filling or caloric.  But darn it, when you're sick you don't want to eat.  Most people would see a weight loss if they did what I did but that's b/c most people are eating grains and when you stop eating grain you lose weight fast.  Grains/bread pack on pounds faster than just about anything else you'll eat.  If you don't believe me weigh yourself, cut out grain for just a few days and weigh yourself again.  A friend recently discovered this from experimenting herself and discovered the truth.  So I have my first convert in the making!  She is going to slowly integrate paleo into her diet but I'm excited for her and think she's doing great.  I'm not going to call her out in my blog b/c I don't think she's gone "public" yet with her new eating approach :)

I'm not preaching Atkins here.  Atkins diet allows you to eat all manner of "Frankenfood" that has been processed to the point of almost being unrecognizable.  I'm telling you that if you want to be healthy cut out the shit our bodies doesn't need and weight loss will occur naturally.  I'm also telling you that once you cut carbs you will stop craving carbs.  This isn't magic or hypnosis it's for real.  I no longer want or crave bread, and I used to eat bread several times a day b/c I loved it and wanted it so badly.  Carb flu is a very real thing, and if you give up the carbs and sugar you'll experience it.  And, if you're like me it will scare the heck out of you b/c it will feel like you're giving up drugs.  In a way you are.

Also, I was very upset to learn that the butcher where I was getting my meat from was not entirely truthful about their meat being grass fed.  So to that end I discovered this place Break Away Farms it's near Mt. Joy, PA and I will be visiting soon. They also have a facebook page .

I'm going to end this blog with a link to a discussion that made me chuckle b/c it sounds like one I've had with friends/family recently.  It's basically a paleo eater having dinner with his non-paleo friends.

Happy Meat Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment